Wideboys

Wideboys
"Lord" Marton Tilman (left) and Roland Tilman

Wednesday 30 October 2013

6. The Curious Incident of the Bullshit Interview

Firstly, a necessary admission of my own idiocy. Yes it's true, I was one of the idiots who paid 85 quid for training after a 'successful' interview with Roland Tilman (see section 1). This happened several weeks ago.

I was rather desperate for a job. I was hungover at the time. I am an idiot.

Moving on.

******DISCLAIMER: I HAVE BEEN ASSURED BY ROLAND TILMAN THAT HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS JOB INTERVIEW, AND THAT I HAVE AN OVER ACTIVE IMAGINATION. THEREFORE, THE FOLLOWING SHOULD BE READ AS SECOND RATE DETECTIVE FICTION******

On the 17th October, a couple of days after my 'training' experience, I purchased a report into the parent company of the London Fashion Exchange - Scootec Ltd. I found out that this company - the company that Roland Tilman claims is the biggest importer of hair extensions into the UK - has no assets and no history of trading.

Roland Tilman, who during my interview with the London Fashion Exchange claimed that there were directors superior to him inside the company (in fact, he went off to speak to one of these imaginary 'directors' during my interview to check that there was a place left for me on the amazing London Fashion Exchange training scheme), is in fact the only director, and, I assume, the sole proprietor of the single Great British pound that the company has as capital.

Being a fine upstanding citizen, I thought I'd put word out on Twitter warning other potential idiots that they should avoid the company. I contacted several people on Twitter who had tweeted about forthcoming interviews with London Fashion Exchange, and linked to the Scootec company report that I had put online. I then began working on this blog, for want of better things to do.

Several days later I applied for another job on Gumtree (and yes, I have now learned.... Gumtree is not the place to go for jobs. It is the place to go to get scammed). The advertised position was that of "part time English teacher", it was in Camden, and it sounded like something right up my street.

I was accepted for interview by Glyn Evans. "Glyn Evans" did not contact me through Gumtree, but emailed me directly - bad practice, according to Gumtree.

After exchanging a few emails with "Glyn", it seemed to me that the whole business was rather vague. A location for interview was not given until the morning of the interview itself (Wednesday 30th October). No company name had been given. No job description. Feeling suspicious I called "Glyn" up and asked him what the company was, what the job was, why the location for interview was an unmarked, tatty looking shop front (according to street view below, and verified later by having a look at it myself this evening). As "Glyn" stutteringly attempted to provide some information about his company ("we are teaching people English as a charity, to improve their English") I instantly recognised the whining little voice of  the London Fashion Exchange's trainer extraordinaire - Roland Tilman.


This is Roland Tilman on the right, wearing a combustible-looking suit,
 and posing with his brother (left) Martin Tilman, AKA Lord Marton Tilman,

I asked "Glyn" if his name was in fact "Roland". "Glyn" did not ask me why I was asking such a bizarre question, but instead became rather flustered, babbled incoherently at me, asked me why I thought he was a scammer (I had made no explicit accusation to "Glyn") before running out of words and hanging up.

So... having interviewed me two weeks previously for the London Fashion Exchange position, and consequently being aware that I have several years' teaching experience, and that I use Gumtree (like an idiot) to look for jobs, did Roland Tilman put a fake advert on Gumtree to lure me into an 'interview' before getting his heavies to tell me I was being a naughty boy? Am I being unduly paranoid. Well, I think all will become clear soon enough.

"

120 Kentish Town Road
Glyn's "Head Office"




No comments:

Post a Comment